The U12 Alpine Racing Program
The U12 Racing Program is for aspiring ski racers ages 10 & 11 (born in years 2006 & 2007.)
The U12s begin on December 26 and will meet every day that week for ‘Christmas Camp,’ a fun training camp to prepare everyone for the season ahead. After that, we meet regularly every Saturday and Sunday. U12s are also invited to train Wednesdays and Fridays as their school schedule allows.
Our coaches teach a curriculum based largely on US Skiing (USSA) age-appropriate training drills and an increased emphasis on gate training. We focus on the skills necessary for ski racing success, but we also have fun translating these skills to the entire mountain with directed free skiing. U12s will build the foundation for a lifetime of dynamic skiing using the backdrop of some fun ski racing.
As members of the Mid-Vermont Council (MVC) of the Vermont Alpine Racing association (VARA), our U12s will compete in Giant Slalom and “Stubby” Slalom races with 5-6 events during the season. The coaching staff will distribute a schedule with specific times, locations and instructions prior to each race.
The full calendar of events can be found at http://www.vara.org/calendar.php
Prerequisite: Successful U12s generally have at least 1-2 seasons of U10 Racing, Alpine Devo, All-Mountain or similar experience, though this is not required. All that is required is solid skiing experience, the right equipment and a great attitude.
U12 Coaching Staff: Cheyenne Wood, Skip McKee.
- 10 & 11 years old (DOB: January 1, 2006 - December 31, 2007)
Suicide 6 Pass:
- U12 Athletes are expected to have a Suicide 6 season pass.
Dates & times:
- December 26, 2017 – March 11, 2017.
- On Saturdays & Sundays, we train 9AM-2PM with an hour break for lunch, usually 11 AM - Noon, though this can vary. Important: The kids are on their own and unsupervised for lunch
- U12s may also attend mid-week training on Wednesdays and Fridays from 2-4PM. This schedule may vary week to week. Final schedule is always at coaches discretion
- U12 Athletes are also invited to attend Christmas Camp, daily December 26-January 2. (Final schedule is at discretion of the coaching staff)
- All U12 races are on weekends
Pre-Season Dry land training:
- U12 Athletes are invited to join us for dry-land training beginning with the Dry-Land Kick-Off Cookout on Sunday, November 5. After that, we’ll meet Wednesdays & Fridays 3-4 PM at Vail Field and Sundays 1-2:30 PM at Suicide 6.
- Suitable racing helmet (hard ears) and goggles
- Skis: We recommend 2 pairs; 1 pair of SL skis and 1 pair of GS skis.
- Slalom shin guards
- Ski racing suit
USSA & VARA Licenses:
- All U12 athletes are required to be members of both USSA (http://ussa.org) and VARA, our state racing organization (http://www.vara.org).
Parent Work Obligation
- 2 events during the 2017/18 season