The U12 Alpine Racing Program
The U14 Race Program is for skiers ages 12 & 13 (born in years 2004 & 2005.)
The U14 season begins on December 26 and will meet daily that week for Christmas Camp. After that, we meet regularly every Saturday and Sunday. U14s are also encouraged to train Tuesday-Friday as their school schedule allows.
Using guidelines and skill drills from US Skiing (USSA), our coaches will teach the kids to ski more precisely, more confidently, and more dynamically. We’ll expose them to steeper terrain and teach them how to think tactically.
While we focus on the skills necessary for ski racing success, we also have fun translating these skills to the entire mountain with directed free skiing. We’ll teach the U14s to challenge themselves both mentally and physically. They will build the foundation for a lifetime of dynamic skiing!
As members of the Mid-Vermont Council (MVC) of the Vermont Alpine Racing association (VARA), our U14 Athletes compete in Slalom, Giant Slalom and Super-G with 6-7 race opportunities during the season. The Council awards points for each race result and the top athletes in the MVC qualify for VARA U14 State Championships, to be held the weekend of March 2-4 at Middlebury.
The U14 coaching staff will distribute a schedule with specific times, locations and instructions prior to each race.
The full calendar of events can be found at http://www.vara.org/calendar.php
Prerequisite: Successful U14s generally have at least 1-2 seasons of U12 Racing, All-Mountain or similar experience, though this is not required. All that is required is solid skiing experience, the proper equipment, and a great attitude.
U14 Coaching Staff: Justin Lillie, Chris Adams, Biria St. John.
- 12 & 13 years old (DOB: January 1, 2004 - December 31, 2005)
Suicide 6 Pass:
- U14 Athletes are expected to have a Suicide 6 season pass.
Dates & times:
- December 30, 2017 – March 11, 2017. On Saturdays & Sundays, we train 9AM-2PM with an hour break for lunch, usually 11 AM - Noon, though this can vary.
- Mid-week training, Tuesday-Friday 2-4PM. This schedule may vary week to week. Final schedule is always at coaches discretion
- U14 Athletes are also encouraged to attend Christmas Camp, daily December 26-January 2. (Final schedule is at discretion of the coaching staff)
Pre-Season Dry land training:
- U14 Athletes are invited to join us for dry-land training beginning Sunday, November 5. We’ll meet Wednesdays & Fridays 3-4 PM at Vail Field and Sundays 1-2:30 PM at Suicide 6.
- FIS Certified helmet, with removable SL chin guard and goggles
- Skis: 2 pairs; 1 pair each of properly sized SL and GS skis. The GS skis must have a minimum sidecut radius of 17 meters. There is a 2-day Super-G camp & race that does require longer GS skis or even Super G specific skis. Most kids borrow or lease skis for this.
- Poles; ideally 2 pairs; 1 SL with hand guards and one pair for GS
- Slalom shin guards
- Ski racing suit
USSA & VARA Licenses:
- All U14 athletes are required to be members of both USSA (http://ussa.org) and VARA, our state racing organization (http://www.vara.org).
Parent Work Obligation
- 2 events during the 2017/18 season