The U12 Alpine Racing Program
The U19 Program provides training and support for ski racers ages 16, 17, & 18 (born in years 1999-2001.)
Using guidelines and skill drills from US Skiing (USSA), our coaches will build upon and refine what the athletes learned as U16s and teach them to ski more aggressively and faster than they have before. We will spend most of our time gate training, but we will also have fun translating these skills to the entire mountain with directed free skiing.
The U19 season begins on December 26 and will meet daily that week for Christmas Camp. After that, we train Tuesday-Friday 2-4 PM and Saturday and Sunday at 9 AM.
As members of the Vermont Alpine Racing association (VARA), our U16 Athletes compete in Slalom, Giant Slalom and Super-G in both the Vermont Cup Series and George Tormey Series. There are many opportunities to race as a U19, but the coaching staff will work with our team to decide on a schedule that meets our needs and provides the most fun for the kids.
The coaching staff will distribute a schedule with specific times, locations and instructions prior to each race.
The full calendar of events can be found at http://www.vara.org/calendar.php
The U16 & U19 groups will usually train and race on the same schedule.
Prerequisite: Successful U19 shave at least 4-5 seasons of ski racing experience.
U19 Coaching Staff: Scott Smith & others TBD. Head U16 Coach Scott Smith won the award for VARA Development Coach of the Year in 2016.
- 16, 17 & 18 years old (DOB: January 1, 1999 - December 31, 2001)
Suicide 6 Pass:
- U19 Athletes are expected to have a Suicide 6 season pass.
Dates & times:
- December 30, 2017 – March 11, 2017. On Saturdays & Sundays, we train 9AM-2PM with an hour break for lunch, usually 11 AM - Noon, though this can vary.
- Mid-week training, Tuesday-Friday 2-4PM. This schedule may vary week to week. Final schedule is always at coaches discretion
- U19 Athletes are also encouraged to attend Christmas Camp, daily December 26-January 2. (Final schedule is at discretion of the coaching staff)
Pre-Season Dry land training:
- U19 Athletes are invited to join us for dry-land training beginning Sunday, November 5. We’ll meet Wednesdays & Fridays 3-4 PM at Vail Field and Sundays 1-2:30 PM at Suicide 6.
- FIS Certified helmet, with removable SL chin guard and goggles
- Skis: At least 2 pairs; 1 pair each of properly sized SL and GS skis. The GS skis must have a minimum sidecut radius of 17 meters
- Poles; ideally 2 pairs; 1 SL with hand guards and one pair for GS
- Slalom shin guards
- Ski racing suit
USSA & VARA Licenses:
- All U16 athletes are required to be members of both USSA (http://ussa.org) and VARA, our state racing organization (http://www.vara.org).
Parent Work Obligation
- 2 events during the 2017/18 season