The U10 Alpine Racing Program
The U10 Racing Program is for kids ages 8 & 9 (born in years 2008 & 2009.)
The U10s start on December 26 and will meet every day that week for ‘Christmas Camp.’ During Camp, the kids are teamed with some older kids and the teams “compete” with each other doing early-season warm up drills and fun games. It’s a great way to begin the season and meet a lot of the other kids and coaches. After that, we meet every Saturday and Sunday.
Since each child matures at a different rate, it is important to emphasize fun. Our goal is to develop fundamental skiing movement, improve their ability to ski the whole mountain well and prepare them for their first ski races. Our coaches teach a curriculum that incorporates US Skiing (USSA) age-appropriate training drills, focused all-mountain free skiing and increased emphasis on gate training.
As members of the Mid-Vermont Council (MVC) of the Vermont Alpine Racing association (VARA), our U10 participants will compete in Giant Slalom and “Stubby” Slalom races and will have 3-4 races during the season. The kids do not have to attend all races. The coaching staff will distribute a schedule with specific times, locations and instructions prior to each race.
The full calendar of events can be found at http://www.vara.org/calendar.php
U10 Coaching Staff: Dave Steele, Ben Halley, Shawn Mato.
- 8-9 years old (DOB: January 1, 2008 - December 31, 2009)
Suicide 6 Pass:
- U10 Athletes are expected to have a Suicide 6 season pass.
Dates & times:
- Weekends December 30, 2017 – March 11, 2017. We train 9AM-2PM with an hour break for lunch, usually 11 AM - Noon, though this can vary. Important: The kids are on their own and unsupervised for lunch.
- U10 Athletes are also invited to attend Christmas Camp, daily December 26-January 2. (Final schedule is at discretion of the coaching staff.)
- All U10 races are on weekends.
Pre-Season Dry land training:
- U10 Athletes are invited to join us for dry-land training beginning with the Dry-Land Kick-Off Cookout on Sunday, November 5.
- We’ll meet Fridays 3-4 PM at Vail Field and Sundays 1-2:30 PM at Suicide 6.
- Properly fitted racing helmet (hard ears) and goggles
- Skis: Only one pair of skis is required; we recommend a pair of properly sized SL Racing skis. Some kids do also have GS skis (but this is optional)
- Slalom shin guards (optional, but most kids like to wear them)
- Ski racing suit (optional, but most kids wear them)
USSA & VARA Licenses:
- All U10 athletes are required to be members of both USSA (http://ussa.org) and VARA, our state racing organization (http://www.vara.org).
Parent Work Obligation
- 2 events during the 2017/18 season.